Wednesday, April 11, 2007

April Showers?


So I thought the old saying was "April Showers bring May Flowers?" So what do April Snowstorms bring? Ohhhh grumpy moms. Yep, that's what they bring. What is with this weather!? Hmmm who am I going to trust about Global Warming, the government (who has..ahem..no agenda for their opinion I'm sure) who says "Global Warming is a farce! A tool for those tree hugging democrats to scare us all into finding newer cleaner fuel and enforcing rules for our factories!" or the SCIENTISTS who, well, STUDY AND LIVE IT?! Yeah, my vote is with the scientists. I know there was a freak blizzard in April 1973, but maybe that was our warning...ya know? I know the climate goes through cycles, I know that El nino doesn't spell Armageddon but come on! Seriously, are you REALLY going to tell me that 40 degree variances in a week (and sometimes within the DAY), tsunamis, droughts, floods, dead honey bees, summer in Iowa lasting until NOVEMBER and winter lasting until April is really truly just a cycle? Well, I don't buy it. I'm not a big Al Gore fan but I think he's onto something this time. And I'm not talking about the Internet.


Anyway, back to Brighton. The Easter Bunny came to our house again last night! Apparently, he or she had left a basket at Nana Sally and Papa Tom's house for Brighton. His basket included LOTS of Brighton's favorite things like basketballs, baseballs, soccer balls and foot balls shaped like eggs! They all held little pieces of one of Brighton's other favorite things, CHOCOLATE! There were also two big eggs filled with pennies to put into his new piggy bank! And the EB brought bubbles, two new outfits, marshmallow bunnies, happy feet fruit snacks, a Reece's peanut butter egg (after Easter, they all mysteriously disappear!) and best of all, a Happy Feet and a Panda Movie! That Easter Bunny always knows how to make Brighton happy!
I think maybe if BRighton ever takes a nap today, (he's been lying in bed talking to the dogs for about 1/2 hour now) we'll defy the weather and go to the mall and play in the play yard. TAKE THAT APRIL SNOW SHOWERS! HA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention the April Blizzard of 1973. I'm a NE Iowa farm girl who's relocated to West Central Missouri. It is Friday the 13th and we are having one heck of a snow storm here that is getting ready to close my road and it brought me back to that week when they had to close school because of the howling winds and the 16 foot snow drifts. We lived down in a valley and the roads were drifted shut from both sides. Our neighbor the the south was having a nicotine fit and no way to get smokes, so my folks had my brother and I saddle up the old palomino quarter horse mare and ride across the back fields to take a few packs of smokes to them. The snow was so deep, we actually rode across the tops of the barbed wire fences to get to them. In retrospect, it was dangerous and stupid, but at the time we thought we were so cool for doing it and we made it just fine. I remember the snow blowing so hard through part of that we had white out conditions and you couldn't see from the house to the barn. Cows were calving everywhere and we were laying in stalls in the barn with our bodies over the newborn calves trying to keep them warm. Amazing how we lived.

By the way, I like your blog and the little guy is adorable. Don't worry about the haircut. It's hair and it will grow back.