Saturday, February 03, 2007

Frigid...

The newscasters are using the word "frigid" to describe today. So I thought I'd look up the word "frigid" to see what it actually means...lets see.

Webster's online dictionary describes it as this:

Frigid
Adjective

1. Sexually unresponsive; "was cold to his advances"; "a frigid woman".

2. Extremely cold; "an arctic climate"; "let's get inside; I'm freezing"; "a frigid day"; "gelid waters of the North Atlantic"; "glacial winds"; "icy hands"; "polar weather".

3. Devoid of warmth and cordiality; expressive of unfriendliness or disdain; "a frigid greeting"; "got a frosty reception"; "a frozen look on their faces"; "a glacial handshake"; "icy stare"; "wintry smile".

Source: WordNet 1.7.1 Copyright © 2001 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
Date "frigid" was first used: sometime in the early 15th century. (references)
Etymology: Frigid \Frig"id\, adjective. [Latin expression frigidus, from frigere to be cold; probably akin to Greek to shudder, or perhaps to cold. Compare to Frill.]. (
Websters 1913)

Synonyms: FrigidSynonyms: arctic (adj), cold (adj), freezing (adj), frosty (adj), frozen (adj), gelid (adj), glacial (adj), icy (adj), polar (adj), wintry (adj). (additional references)

Ok, so I agree, but judging by how cold it is outside and how cold it's going to be tomorrow, I would have guessed that the definition would have contained a photo of Iowa and a swear word or two. I hate to even think of putting my dogs outside to go potty. I'm tempted to secure an area in the sun room where they will go, but I know they won't. Ugh. Anyway, I'm making a roast tonight for supper that has taken me two days to prepare so it had better be good!!! If it is, I'll post the recipe. That just sounds good on a cold winter day. Gotta love Iowa.

No comments: